She was funny and animated as she narrated how her Valentine's Day rally in Karachi was responded to with death threats by radicals. She had to go underground for a while until the Muslims found something else to criticise about.
Two years later, she was killed. One of her killers - an educated boy from my university - claimed that her unIslamic Valentine's Day rally was the sin she eventually paid for. Here it is just a day on the calendar. People can choose to celebrate it or ignore it. It can be a perfect excuse to buy more commodities or a reason to feel loved/unloved. It cannot be a matter of right and wrong, piety or evil, life or death.
Such memories remind me of the reasons I left. I didn't stay, I didn't fight. You can't fight religious dogma. It is too big an evil to be dealt with through dialogue or creative expression. It is too ominous to win over. I wish Sabeen had known that.
No comments:
Post a Comment