Saturday, June 1, 2019

God Save the Queen



Things you do, sacrifices you make, fears you fear and take on despite...

...for a piece of paper.

The relief you feel, validation you assume, the joy you receive...

...from a piece of paper.

After three years and 273 days, two homes and three jobs.

After surviving four winters; saying goodbye to my father without saying goodbye.

After losing relationships and finding some.

After living with a dull sense of failure in my successes and a constant feeling of disorientation.

After so much rage, tons of love, and countless miracles.

I stood before them with my new and old friends cheering me on, and said:

I swear
That I will be faithful 
And bear true allegiance
To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second

Will my journey change its course now, or has the destination arrived?

Am I successfully re-colonized?

Or have I finally become a settler?

Am I Canadian now?

Mother, should I stop being afraid?

No comments:

Post a Comment